Thursday 1 July 2010

Becoming like Christ.

Ephesians 5

 1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

I think it is amazing how much you become like the people you spend time with most. When Lorna and I first got married there was one habit she had that provided endless amusement to me. When tidying things away she had a habit of shouting at and berating inanimate objects. She would be tidying the kitchen and suddenly I would hear her shouting. Listening in always made me laugh: "Did I ask you to fall out?! No I didn't! Now I have to bend over and pick you  up because you are being naughty and falling out!" Well it was always words to that  effect.
The Cheese Grater I honestly believe cowers in terror to this day in fear that it will fall somewhere and be on the end of another tirade of abuse for not doing as  it was told! But the worst part of it all is that I find myself after all these years doing the same thing! What exactly do I think this behaviour is going to achieve exactly? Will the Cheese Grater repent of its evil ways and stop falling out of the cupboard and behave itself the next time I tidy up?
The point is you become like the person you spend the most time with. Its almost inevitable really that people who live together, like say a Husband and Wife, will pick up each others mannerisms and habits.
My point is simple. I want to be more like Christ. So if that is the case why am I not spending time with him? Reading the Bible and praying are things that we class as everyday, mundane and even boring parts of being a Christian. But without them how can we ever hope to become more like Jesus?

No comments: