Friday 21 May 2010

Holy Spirit take over.

Romans 8
Life in the Spirit
 1 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. 3 The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin's control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. 4 He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.

 5 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. 6 So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. 7 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. 8 That's why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.

 9 But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.) 10 And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. 11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.


 I wonder if you are like me. There are certain parts of my life that I am more than happy for Christ to have full control of. But there is still so much that I have to confess is mine all mine. Why is it that I still think that I know best? Why no matter that my self rule only ends in sin and crawling back to God to ask his forgiveness do I still think that I know best?

7 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. 

Let us be honest part of me doesn't like God. It does not want his rule in my life. It wants to embrace sin and wallow in my disgrace. Anything other than actually letting God have control. But why is it that I think this is a great idea? Where will me continuing to let the sinful nature rule lead me? 

6 So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death.

What does Paul mean by death here? He does not mean that we will die now. He is talking about eternal death. Hell. That does not exactly sound good does it? So by going my own way and rejecting God I am sentencing myself to eternal torment in Hell.  

6b But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.  

God wants it all not just a part. The consequence of letting the Spirit control me  leads to life and peace.


 9 But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.) 10 And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. 11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.


I know that it is a constant battle that wages within me and you between our old nature and the Holy Spirit that lives in us but I am so fed up of the sinful nature and want more than anything for God to have it all. Come Holy Spirit take over and have it all. You deserve nothing less. 

No comments: