Sunday 23 May 2010

Heirs of God and suffering.


 12 Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do. 13 For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.

 15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” 16 For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children. 17 And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.

Romans 8.


I guess I am spending a lot of time at the moment thinking about just what it is that Jesus has done for me and wondering what exactly my response to that should be. I have seen a lot of preaching that makes out that Jesus is our heavenly insurance policy. You know the drill,we invite Jesus in but give over no control at all and then at the end we seem to think that Jesus is going to pick up the tab. Unless I have things completely wrong if we do indeed think like that the only one who will pick up the tab will be ourselves.
Firstly in the passage above I am struck by the fact that we no longer have to be controlled by our sinfull natures. I have gone on a lot about making war with sin   and why not say it once more. If we live in our old way we will die. Thats eternal death.


13 For if you live by its dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.


 I really want that to be me. I want to be led by the Spirit and to be his child. Okay I know I have spoken of this before but a couple of things really strike me.
Firstly it is really amazing to me the gifts that God bestows on us. Is it not enough to save us from death and gave us an eternity in heaven.  But no God makes us heirs alongside of Christ. Now we are his children and get to call him 'daddy'. 
But secondly, and this one goes out to all you prosperity Gospel preachers, 

 17 And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.

Although we share in his glory as heirs we also share in his suffering. I have never really understood the idea of the prosperity Gospel. I mean I get it in the fact that I bet all of us only want good things from God such as money and an easy life. The idea that if we are good boys and girls that God will give us the bank account we deserve. But the Bible I read mentions in verses like this that suffering may result. But considering what we have been given is it not worth the suffering now for the great privilege of knowing our Saviour.

No comments: